Thursday, January 27, 2005

Government is dramatic?

I caught the dress rehearsal of Democracy last night. Apparently in writing it, Scott Wheeler and Romulus Linney decided that political conviction and philosophical principles could be as dramatically compelling for opera characters as that old stand-by, true love. Um, I'll let the ticket-buying public be the judge, I guess, but IMHO the opera cannon is filled with ridiculous story lines involving impossible characters that usually end up dying for love for a reason. Ending up alone with your civic integrity doesn't quite have the same....sheen. Anyway, the world premiere is tomorrow. Time will tell. (Confidential to Ian: where were you????)


Who's going to be at the Tombs tomorrow?

Comments:
Update: the critics LOVED Democracy, as did many of our patrons. So, I never claimed to know much about classical music....
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?