Sunday, August 07, 2005
The Big Easy
New Orleans was so incredibly amazingly fabulous. I loved loved loved it. I mean, I fully expected to have a good time, but was totally surprised by how enamoured I am with the city itself. No joke, I think I would live there. People are friendly, and the city feels authentic, independent. The architecture is fantastic and unique--beautiful even where it is delapidated.
The art is wonderful--both low and high. I spent a good chunk of Saturday morning wandering through the shops on Royal St. and then Saturday night, being the first Saturday of the month, all the galleries in Julia Street were open and packed--it was great. I can't say I was surprised about that though. Just looking around, it was clear that New Orleans would be a very inspiring place to be an artist.
And of course, the food is incredible, the drinks are incredible (strong!!) and the heat is incredible. We had catfish and hurricanes and mufulettas and Abita and alligator and shrimp and watermelon martinis and ........oh, I can't type any more. It's making me hungry.
I am totally in love with New Orleans.
The art is wonderful--both low and high. I spent a good chunk of Saturday morning wandering through the shops on Royal St. and then Saturday night, being the first Saturday of the month, all the galleries in Julia Street were open and packed--it was great. I can't say I was surprised about that though. Just looking around, it was clear that New Orleans would be a very inspiring place to be an artist.
And of course, the food is incredible, the drinks are incredible (strong!!) and the heat is incredible. We had catfish and hurricanes and mufulettas and Abita and alligator and shrimp and watermelon martinis and ........oh, I can't type any more. It's making me hungry.
I am totally in love with New Orleans.
