Saturday, September 24, 2005
Faux
Ok, can we talk about DC cab drivers for a minute? thanks.
Every cab driver in DC thinks that I am whatever ethnicity he is. No joke. Every single freaking time I get in a cab, I'm Iranian/Egyptian/Turkish/whatever. The cabbie tonight told me that he'd picked me up before (definitely not, I would remember someone this chatty).
So I had decided earlier this week, confirmed this evening, that I really need to get a fake engagement ring to combat the constant ethnicity-related come-ons. At least when the guy asked me tonight whether I had a boyfriend, I had the presence of mind to say yes, and then proceeded to describe Drew. Thanks, Drew for your services in absentia. My boyfriend was conveniently in Buffalo visiting his parents. It's much easier to lie when it's based on something real.
Anyway, the real point of this post is to say that in my quest for a fake engagement ring (a more difficult task than a trip to Claire's when you have Womankind's Largest Fingers) I have discovered that there's apparently a huge market for cubic zirconia copies of celebrity engagement rings. You have multiple options for the Camilla, the Britney and the J Lo. I'm actually rather partial to the Camilla for my faux ring (although not in real life, if my future husband is furtively reading this) but I fear that it will not be realistic enough to ward off the crazies.
I must continue to shop.
Every cab driver in DC thinks that I am whatever ethnicity he is. No joke. Every single freaking time I get in a cab, I'm Iranian/Egyptian/Turkish/whatever. The cabbie tonight told me that he'd picked me up before (definitely not, I would remember someone this chatty).
So I had decided earlier this week, confirmed this evening, that I really need to get a fake engagement ring to combat the constant ethnicity-related come-ons. At least when the guy asked me tonight whether I had a boyfriend, I had the presence of mind to say yes, and then proceeded to describe Drew. Thanks, Drew for your services in absentia. My boyfriend was conveniently in Buffalo visiting his parents. It's much easier to lie when it's based on something real.
Anyway, the real point of this post is to say that in my quest for a fake engagement ring (a more difficult task than a trip to Claire's when you have Womankind's Largest Fingers) I have discovered that there's apparently a huge market for cubic zirconia copies of celebrity engagement rings. You have multiple options for the Camilla, the Britney and the J Lo. I'm actually rather partial to the Camilla for my faux ring (although not in real life, if my future husband is furtively reading this) but I fear that it will not be realistic enough to ward off the crazies.
I must continue to shop.
