Sunday, June 22, 2008

Ugh, Facebook

I have been forcibly dragged, kicking and screaming, on to Facebook. Ok, perhaps I exaggerate a little. I had been asked and asked ad nauseum, as most people of our generation who have thus far abstained have been. But the tipping point was that Seth and Clay both said they were going to do it, and if those two hermits were coming out of the woodwork, then I guess I had to too.

Apparently, there are a whole bunch of unspoken rules pertaining to the Facebook culture. I was informed yesterday that I'm not supposed to "write" on my own "wall." No clear explanation why, but apparently that's the rule. I was telling someone yesterday that I had "blocked" one particular individual who does not seem to understand that he and I are NOT friends, either in cyberspace or real life, and this was met with mild shock. Isn't that the whole point of the blocking thing? I'm not rude to him when I see him in person, but surely the threshold for friendship is a little higher than that? I've also "ignored" a few friend requests from people who, while I know who they are, I certainly would not recognize walking down the street after having not laid eyes on them or spoken to them in years. These are people who were acquaintances even then. I suspect this also goes against the grain of the Facebook culture, as it prevents one from amassing as many "friends" as possible. I'm pretty comfortable with these decisions, though. After all, what opportunity will someone that I never actually see have to take umbrage?

Comments:
ughhhhh your entire attitude towards facebook is so you. the you-ness of this entry is astounding.
 
Well, it IS my blog, why wouldn't it sound like me? Of course, I realize, dear sister, that this is your way of expressing your disapproval without having to articulate why you disapprove and/or generally find me annoying, but that's ok. I'll live.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?