Tuesday, May 17, 2011
The Physicists, Part 2
Perhaps this title should really be "The Geeks, Part 2" but it's not as pretty.
Today, the Washington Post memorialized It's Academic, which has been on the air 50 years. I only have vague memories of this being on TV at Aunt Rosalie's house in Ellicott City growing up, but it brought to mind all kinds of other geeky teenage projects I had: Science Olympiad, which has nothing to do with anything now other than maybe my love for Big Bang Theory (see below) and being a docent at Rockingham, which also has nothing to do with anything, but may have led to the Hoya housing committee pairing me with Rachel freshman year, which pretty much changed my life. I was definitely the only crossover between those two activities.
And then that made me think of how in Along Came Polly, Ben Stiller thinks he can surmise the outcome of Jennifer Aniston's adult life based on their participation together in Model UN in high school, one activity I never did but would have been vaguely relevant to my job now. Our team used to jockey for the opportunity to represent Djibouti, I think because the name was funny, but wow what a terrible idea.
So that was my train of thought today, if you were wondering.
Today, the Washington Post memorialized It's Academic, which has been on the air 50 years. I only have vague memories of this being on TV at Aunt Rosalie's house in Ellicott City growing up, but it brought to mind all kinds of other geeky teenage projects I had: Science Olympiad, which has nothing to do with anything now other than maybe my love for Big Bang Theory (see below) and being a docent at Rockingham, which also has nothing to do with anything, but may have led to the Hoya housing committee pairing me with Rachel freshman year, which pretty much changed my life. I was definitely the only crossover between those two activities.
And then that made me think of how in Along Came Polly, Ben Stiller thinks he can surmise the outcome of Jennifer Aniston's adult life based on their participation together in Model UN in high school, one activity I never did but would have been vaguely relevant to my job now. Our team used to jockey for the opportunity to represent Djibouti, I think because the name was funny, but wow what a terrible idea.
So that was my train of thought today, if you were wondering.
